- Christmas colloquium of the Faculty 2018
On Monday 12/10/2018 at 5:00pm, Prof. Dr. Domenico Giulini held the Christmas Colloquium in the Turing lecture hall on the subject „Quantum Mechanics and gravitation“.
Afterwards, the Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science invited speaker and audience to a get-together with cookies and a drink in the foyer of the Computer Science building.
- Day of women equal opportunity
On November 12, 2018, in the foyer of the Informatics Building, the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science welcomed everyone interested in the topic of women in Mathematics and Computer Science and their research at the JMU.
- Workshop: Stability and Control of Infinite-Dimensional Systems (SCINDIS-2018)
October 10 – 12, 2018, Würzburg
Full-time job for the system administration (technical service)
Application until 09/02/2018
- Humboldt Professorship for Mathematics
The university was successful with the nomination of Stefanie Petermichl for an Alexander von Humboldt Professorship. [Article]
- State garden show 2018:
As a contribution of Mathematics to the LGS, different stations are built in LAB13, which encourage experiments and meditation.
- Days of scholar projects in Mathematics and Informatics 2018
Di. 10. Juli - Fr. 13. Juli 2018
Projektpräsentation: Freitag, 13. Juli 2018
Akademische Rat position at the Chair of Mathematics XI (Mathematics in the Sciences)
Applications until 04/26/2018
On April 26, 2018, 26 students took part in Girls' Day of Mathematics: Mathematics around us and how it does work.
University Professor in Discrete Harmonic Analysis (level W2)
Applications until 01/25/2018
- Obituary for Prof. Dr. med. Waldemar Velte
On January 4 2018, the former holder of the chair of Applied Mathematics I, Prof. dr. Waldemar Velte, died. [news]
- Christmas colloquium of the Faculty 2017
On Tuesday 12/12/2017 at 5.00pm, Prof. Dr. Frank Schwab presented a talk for the Christmas Colloquium in the Turing lecture hall. The subject was „Tomorrow children will give something - academic ghost between psychology and computer science". Afterwards, the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics invited the audience and the speaker to a get-together with mulled wine and cookies in the foyer of the Informatics building.
- With the Game Theory on a collision course
How do pedestrians behave in a large crowd? How can you model your ways? A new approach is provided by mathematicians from Würzburg and Nice.
- Workshop: Dynamical systems and stability
Prof. Dr. Sergey Dashkovskiy
Part 1 in Kyiv: 22.-28. September 2017
Part 2 in Würzburg: 11.-13. October 2017
- Workshop Noncommutative Geometry and Higher Structures
September 11 - 15, 2017
- Student Project Days of Mathematics and Informatics 2017
Mo. 24. July - Th. 27. July 2017
Final presentation: Thursday, 27th July 2017, 2.00pm - 4.30pm
- Workshop Function Theory
Monday, July 17 at 1:00 pm
There was a Workshop with four 30-minutes talks covering a broad range of topics in Complex Analysis.
- Academics celebration of the Faculty
On Saturday, July 1, 2017, the Academic Celebration 2017 of the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics took place at 13:00 in the large auditorium 0.004 of the Central Auditorium and Seminar Building, Hubland South.
- Workshop: Arithmetic on the A 7
On 22 + 23 June 2017, the AaA7 meeting on all facets of Number Theory in Würzburg took place in the BSZ.
- Gender equality award for Prof. Dr. Schlömerkemper
Prof. Dr. Anja Schlömerkemper, holder of the Chair for Mathematics in the Natural Sciences, received the Gender Equality Award 2017 from the University of Würzburg.
University Professorship on Computer Algebra (W2)
Successor Prof. Dr. Jürgen Appell
Applications until 05/26/2017
Head of junior researcher group (max. 5 years, TV-L E14)
new junior researcher group at the faculty
Application until 05/31/2017
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics has run ...
at the 29th Würzburg Residenzlauf on Sunday, April 30, 2017.
- Mathematik-Olympiade in Würzburg
Nearly 200 students attended the University of Würzburg for the 56th round of the Bavarian Mathematics Olympiad.
- New Year's reception of the faculty
On Saturday, January 28, 2017, all professors, staff, Alumnae & Alumnis, also with partner, were very welcome to the first New Year's reception of the faculty with wine tasting in the beautiful Residenzkeller (Bacchusecke).
- Christmas colloquim of the Faculty 2016
On Wednesday, 21.12.2016, at 17:00, Prof. Dr. Ing. Christian Klingenberg presented the Christmas colloquium in the Max Scheer lecture hall, on the subject
"The whole universe in the computer".
Afterwards, the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics organized its annual Christmas party with mulled wine in the foyer of the informatics building.
- XI. Würzburg Workshop
This workshop joined the work groups of Fritz Röpke (astrophysics, Heidelberg) and Christian Klingenberg (mathematics, Würzburg) in a mix of astrophysical modeling and applied mathematics.
Emil Fischer Str. 40 in Würzburg, Dec. 08-09, 2016
- Science-Slam-Victory for Mathematicians
This year's victory at the Science Slam of the "Junge Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft" (jDPG) at the University of Würzburg went to Hans-Georg Weigand. [more]
University Professor of Analysis (grade W3)
Successor Prof. Dr. med. Uwe Helmke
Applications until 07.10.2016
University Professor of the Didactics of Mathematics (level W3)
Successor Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Georg Weigand
Applications until 07.10.2016
- alista di Repubblica è venuto in mente di intervistare la Ascanio e Giacchetti che nella direzione PD di poche settimane fa avevano addirittura minacciato l'uscita dal partito in caso di accordo con il M5S ? Si sono resi irreperibili ? ErAnnouncements:
Half-day office of the secretary Chair (administration service)
applications until 28.09.2016
Lecturer position for Analysis, in particular Complex Analysis
Applications until 30.09.2016
- Math: The Formula of Sport
Campus magazine in the Main-Post from 24.09.2016
- MINT Preliminary Course: Fundamentals and Proof Methods of Mathematics
Block 1: Thu. 22 Sept. - Fri. 30 Sept. 2016
Block 2: Wed. 05. Oct. - Tue. 11. Oct. 2016 + Thu. 13. Oct. - Fri 14. Oct. 2016
MINT Day: Tue. 04. Oct. 2016
- Student Prorject Days Mathematics and Informatics 2016
Tue. 19. July - Fri 22. July 2016
Project presentation: Friday, July 22, 2016
- As an early student to the math Olympiad
Manfred Paul, an early math student at the University of Würzburg, will attend the International Mathematical Olympiad in Hong Kong in July.
- Foundation Festival of the University: Promotion Price 2016
The doctoral prize of the university was awarded in mathematics to:
Dr. Gabriele Ciaramella, "Exact and non-smooth control of quantum spin systems"
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. Alfio Borzi
- "Leibniz afternoon"
On the 300th anniversary of the death of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646 - 1716) takes place on Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at the University of Würzburg, Hubland Campus North, BSZ, S0.108 (Pabel-HS) a "Leibniz Afternoon" with two main lectures followed by the opening of an exhibition.
- Girls' Day 2016 on Thursday, April 28, 2016, 9: 30-16: 00
- Memorial Colloquium:
On April 22, 2016, starting at 1:30 pm, a commemorative colloquium was held in the Turing lecture hall of the Informatics building. Uwe Helmke.
- Zonta Prize Winner 2016: Dr. Nicola Oswald
Presentation on Wednesday, 09. March 2016, from 6.30 pm in the lecture hall building Z6, room 2.013 of the University of Würzburg [invitation]
- Obituary for Prof. Dr. Uwe Helmke
On the 1st of March 2016 our colleague Uwe Helmke died unexpectedly of 63 years.
- Study Bazaar Mathematics: 18.01.2016
Elective lecture, seminar, thesis - What suits me?
The lecturers of mathematics present their work areas and are available for questions.
Monday 18.01.2016 13-15 clock Pabel-HS in BSZ
- The new International Master Program will start in the winter semester 2015/16. This degree is especially designed for students from abroad and is entirely held in English.
- System accreditation: interview with Andrea Szczesny
In the fall of 2015, the Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) applies for system accreditation. The benefits of accreditation, content and process are discussed in an interview with Vice-President Professor Dr. med. Andrea Szczesny
- Elliptical Compasses: collectioni of historical mathematical instruments
Temporary exhibition 2014-2016 by Prof. dr. Hans-Joachim Vollrath in the Mathematics Library, Campus Hubland Nord, Josef-Martin-Weg 64
- Announcement: Junior Professor (W1) for Mathematics
(3+3 years with Tenure-Track Option)
Application until 15.11.2015
- Universe: simulations on the supercomputer
Researchers from Würzburg and Heidelberg have been granted computing time worth nearly five million euros on a supercomputer.
- Christmas colloquium of the Faculty 2015
On Tuesday, 15.12.2015, at 17:00, Prof. Dr. Ing. Rudolf Taschner presented a talk to the Christmas colloquium on the topic "The gift of mathematics is the understanding", in the Turing lecture hall of the Informatics building.
Afterwards, the Student Union of Mathematics and Informatics organized their Christmas party in the foyer of the Informatics building.
- Documentary "Colors of Math"
On Thursday, July 9, 2015, 8:30 pm, the central cinema in Würzburg showed the documentary of the mathematician and director Ekaterina Eremenko.
There was a short introduction and after the film a colloquium with the director.
- Special Colloquium:
Mathematics and Film - New format for scientific communication
The director Ekaterina Eremenko presented her film "Colors of Math".
Thursday, July 9th, 5:00 pm, Hubland North, Library and Seminar Center, S0.108 (Pabel-HS)
- Student Project Days Mathematics and Informatics 2015
21st to 24th of July 2015
Project presentation: Friday, July 24, 2:00 pm, Turing lecture hall (informatics building)
- Internationales Alumni Projects "Modeling Change - Changing the world"
from June 29 to July 4, 2015, funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and with the participation of the Institute of Mathematics.
- Academic celebration of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Saturday, June 27, 2015, at 1 pm in the large auditorium 0.004 (Central Auditorium and Seminar Building) [Flyer]
- Documentary "colors of Math"
On Thursday, May 28, 2015, 8:30 pm, the central cinema in Würzburg, in cooperation with the Institute of Mathematics, presented the award-winning documentary by mathematician and director Ekaterina Eremenko. Afterwards there was the possibility to ask questions to mathematicians.
- Prof. Dr. Peter Müller beim Bethe Forum
Prof. Dr. Peter Müller ist "invited speaker" beim Bethe Forum "Constructive Methods in Number Theory" an der Universität Bonn.
- Honorary doctor Günter Pickert died
On February 11, 2015, at the age of 97, our colleague Günter Pickert (University of Gießen), who was honorary doctor of our university, died.
- Mathematics Olympiads in Würzburg
Around 180 students took part in the 54th round of the German Mathematical Olympiad at the University of Würzburg.
- Student Project Days of Mathematics and Informatics 2014
Tue 15.07. - Fri 18.07.2014
Project presentation: Friday 18th July 2014
- Partnership agreement with the University of Taipei
The University of Würzburg signed a partnership agreement with the National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) in Taipei.
- A center of scientific computing
Mathematicians from the University of Würzburg and the Wrocław University of Technology decided on a new form of cooperation.
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science run
at the 26th Würzburg Residenzlauf on Sunday, April 13, 2014.
- Girls' Day 2014 on Thursday, March 27, 2014, 9-15 clock
Mathematician - what kind of profession is this? We want to give you answers to many questions about the profession of mathematician.
- Pioneers from India at our institute
Six Indian scholarship holders are currently attending university for two months.
- 1000. Consulting in Statistic
Many students have to deal with statistical questions at the latest during their final theses. You will find support with a team in mathematics.
- Sucessfull Study Bazaar on Monday, January 20, 2014, 2-5 pm in the Gymnasium Lecture Hall (BSZ).
The lecturers of mathematics presented their work areas and were available for questions.
- Christmas colloquium 2013 of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
on Wednesday, 18 December 2013, 17.00, Zuse-HS, computer science building.
Afterwards, the student council Math / Info organizes its annual Christmas party in the foyer of the computer science building.
This year's festival lecturer, Prof. Christian Spannagel, put Würzburg's speech online. If you want to watch it again, please click here.
- Wednesday, December 11, from 6:00 pm in the Zuse lecture hall of the computer science building:
Data sercurity from a technical and ethical perspective. A public event at the Institute of Mathematics of the University of Würzburg:
* 18:00 Prof. dr. Andreas Aßmuth (Hochschule Amberg / Weiden): "PRISM and you"
* 19:00 dr. Tobias Matzner (University of Tübingen): "Technology and Morality"
Afterwards a podium discussion will take place, moderated by the Würzburg journalist Robert Weber.
- JIM explanation of BR-alpha
- Student Project Days Mathematics and Computer Science 2013
16 to 19 July 2013
Project presentation: Friday, July 19, 2:00 pm, Zuse-HS
- Hidden Ideas: Historical Mathematical Instruments
An exhibition 2013 in the sub-library Mathematics,
Campus Hubland Nord, Josef-Martin-Weg 64
- New BMBF-funded research project at the institute:
The formula for more aroma and yield
- Escursion of the Institute of Mathematics to Mathematikum in Gießen
on Saturday, June 22nd and Friday, July 12th, 2013.
Travel and admission are financed from the remainder of tuition fees.
All students are invited.
- 2013 Academic Celebration of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Saturday, June 29, 2013, 1:00 pm, HS 0.004 (Central Auditorium Building)
- Two wold-class memory athletes at our institute
The event "Ingenious Memory Strategies" provides an insight into the world of memory sports.
All students and staff of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science are cordially invited.
Thursday, 27 June 2013, 16.15, ÜR II (computer science building)
- Tender: W2 Professorship for Mathematics (Inverse Problem)
to 01.01.2014 (application until 07.06.2013)
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science has run
at the 25th Würzburg Residenzlauf on Sunday, April 28, 2013.
- Würzburg becomes Olympic training center: Mathematical Olympiad (Landesrunde Bayern)
February 22-24, 2013
- Christmas Colloquium and Christmas Party 2012
on Monday, December 17, 2012, 5:00 pm, Turing-HS
- Mathematics for new supercomputers:
New DFG-funded research project in cooperation with astrophysicists in Heidelberg
- Academic Celebration 2012 of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
on Saturday, July 7, 2012 at 13:00, Central Auditorium Building at Hubland, HS 0.004
- Mathematics Day 2012
on Saturday, June 30, 2012, 11-16,
as part of the day the public of the university
"Experience the campus: nature and technology to touch"
- University 2012 Foundation on May 11:
Medal of Merit „Bene Merenti“ in Gold for Prof. Dr. Josef Stoer
Promotionspreis for Dr. Alexandra Schwartz
- Girls' Day 2012
on Thursday, April 26, 2012: The math was there!
- Christmas Colloquium 2011
on Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 17.00 clock, Zuse HS
Prof. Dr. Burkard Upholstery (Monash University, Australia):
Quasimodos secret code
- Summer Party of the Faculty of Math/Info
on Thursday, July 14, 2011, from 5 pm, at the computer science building
- Public Day 2011 on Sunday, July 10, 2011, 12 to 16 o'clock
Open House at the Department of Mathematics
Program Mathematics West - Program Mathematics East
- Academic Celebration 2011 of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
on Saturday, 2 July 2011, at 13:00 clock in the Neubaukirche, Domerschulstraße
- The Enneper minimal suface has moved
on the 1st of July 2011.
- The Math has moved
rom 26 to 29 April 2011.
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science has run...
at the 23rd Würzburg Residenzlauf on Sunday, April 17, 2011.
- Day of Mathematics 2011 on Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 9-15 clock
- Christmas Colloquium 2010
on Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 5:00 pm, Zuse-HS
Prof. Dr. Ulrik Brandes (University of Konstanz):
- Workshop "From Idea to business Plan"
as part of the ERDF project "Founding Service Science Mainfranken"
on Friday, December 3, 2010, 12-15 clock
- Day of Mathematics 2010
- Student Projects Days Mathematics 2010
from the 20th to the 23rd of July 2010
- Academic Celebration 2010 Academic Celebration 2010 of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
on Friday, 2 July 2010
- Colloquiumon the occasion of the 70th birthday of Prof. Dr. Günter Köhler
on Friday, May 7, 2010, 15:15, Zuse-HS
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science has run again
at the 22nd Würzburg Residenzlauf on Sunday, April 25, 2010.
- Schnubber Days for the Summer semester 2010
on the 12th and 13th of April 2010
- Day of Mathematics 2010 on Saturday, March 6, 2010, 11-15 clock
- 49th Mathematical Olympiad: Landesrunde Nordbayern, 26-28 February 2010 at the Institute of Mathematics
- Award of the Otto Volk Medal in gold
Prof. Dr. Hans-Joachim Vollrath, on the occasion of his 75th birthday and for
his merits in founding the Otto Volk Foundation
- Graduation Day 2010
Special events on Tuesday, January 12, 2010
- Mathematics and Computer Science on Saturday
in the winter semester 2009/10
- Christmas colloquium 2009
on Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Prof. Dr. Klaus Volkert (University of Wuppertal):
What is actually a surface area?
Council takes place afterwards the christmas party of the student.
- Workshop on Algebraic and Topological Aspects of D-branes
17. - 18. Dicember 2009
- Workshop Business Mathematics
on Friday, 16 October 2009, 2 pm, Toscana Hall of the Residence
- Student Project Days Mathematics 2009
from 21 to 24 July 2009
- Colloquium for Prof. Dr. Dr. Josef Stoer
on the occasion of his 75th birthday
on Friday, 17 July 2009, 15.00 clock, Zuse HS
- Mathematics Day on Saturday, July 4th, 2009
- Alumni Summer Festival 2009 of the University from 3 to 5 July 2009
- Academic Celebration 2009 of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
on Friday, July 3, 2009
- Summer party of the Fachschaft Math / Info
on Thursday, 2 July 2009
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science has run ...
at the 21st Würzburg Residenzlauf
on Sunday, April 26, 2009.
- Girls' Day 2009 on Thursday, April 23, 2009
- MINT Plus - Tutorials during the semester break (April 2009) to prepare for follow - up exams
- Graduation Day 2009
Special events on Tuesday, January 13, 2009
- Mathematics and computer science on Saturday (so far "Math-Saturdays") in the winter semester 2008/09
- Lectures of the Institute for the Year of Mathematics 2008 (poster)
General Information on the Year of Mathematics 2008
- Christmas colloquium 2008
on Monday, December 15, 2008
Prof. Dr. Hermann Maurer (TU Graz):
Technology predictions are necessary but impossible
... and then the Christmas party of the student council
- Robert Sauer Prize 2008 for Dr. med. Martin Kleinsteuber (laudation)
(December 6, 2008)
- Early start to study: Two students of mathematics were there
(October 10, 2008)
- Prize for particularly good teaching for Dr. med. Jürgen Roth
(September 18, 2008)
- Doing Mathematics Differently (Teacher Training in the Year of Mathematics 2008)
(October 1, 2008)
- 3rd Computer Science Teacher Day in Bavaria
(22 September 2008)
- Student Project Days Mathematics 2008 from 15 to 18 July 2008
- Academic Celebration of the Faculty on Saturday, July 5, 2008
- University Alumni Summer Festival from 4th July to 6th July 2008
- PISA Bach Pythagoras
Cabaret, Mathematics & Music with "Piano Paul"
on Friday, 4 July 2008, 8 pm, Audimax
- Excellent for young researchers Würzburg mathematician successful in the CHE Excellence Ranking 2007
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science has run...
at the 20th Würzburg Residenzlauf on Sunday, April 20, 2008.
- wonderfully predictable
The world of the Würzburg mathematician Kaspar Schott
Exhibition in the University Library Würzburg
from the 16th of January to the 30th of March 2008.
- Mathematics and Computer Science on Saturday
(so far "Math-Saturdays") in the winter semester 2007/08
- Christmas Colloquium 2007
on Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Prof. Dr. Günter M. Ziegler (TU Berlin):
News from "The BOOK of Proofs": Paving and Disassembly
- Student Project Days Mathematics 2007
from the 10th to the 13th of July 2007
- Colloquium on the occasion of the 80th birthday of Prof. Dr. H. W. Knobloch
on Friday, June 22, 2007, 3:00 pm, HS 2
- Academic celebration 2007
on Saturday, May 5, 2007, 3:00 pm
in the Neubaukirche, Domerschulstraße, Würzburg
with inaugural lecture by Prof. dr. Jörn Steuding
- The Institute of Mathematics has run ...
at the 19th Würzburg Residenzlauf on Sunday, April 29, 2007
Mathematicians got a challenge cup
- Ironically ... Mathematics and Concrete Art
An exhibition in the cultural memory of the city of Würzburg from 10 February to 29 April 2007.
On Thursday, April 26, 7 - 11 pm, the Night of Mathematics took place there in Kulturspeicher.
- Girls'Day at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
on Thursday, April 26, 2007
- Training day for SINUS transfer
A continuing education initiative for Bavarian schools.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
- Graduation Day 2007
on Tuesday, January 16, 2007
- On Thursday, January 11, 2007, the one-day field trip for business mathematicians took place at the Center for European Economic Research (ZEW) in Mannheim.
- Mathematics and Computer Science on Saturday (so far "Math-Saturdays") in the winter semester 2006/07
- Christmas Colloquium 2006
on Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Prof. Dr. Christian Klingenberg (Würzburg): Struggle and plague of a mathematical proof
- Academic celebration on the occasion of the first occupation of the Giovanni Prodi Chair
on Wednesday, July 19, 2006
- Akademische Feier 2006
am Samstag, 6. Mai 2006
- The Institute of Mathematics has run ...
at the 18th Würzburg Residenzlauf
on Sunday, April 30, 2006
- Girls' Day 2006 on Thursday, April 27, 2006