All evaluations are based on the evaluation regulations of the JMU. The Institute of Mathematics regularly carries out the following evaluations:
- Course evaluations take place every semester. All courses with a minimum of 30 registered participants are evaluated, even smaller courses can be evaluated. The results are sent to the respective lecturers during the lecture period, so they receive feedback from the students with whom they can discuss the results. An anonymized presentation by profile lines will be published in WueCampus. All students of the faculty are automatically enrolled in the corresponding WueCampus course. The Dean of Studies checks all evaluations and free text information and initiates appropriate measures in case of conspicuousness.
- Subject evaluations take place approximately every 3 to 4 years. All students enrolled in mathematics are interviewed on cross-event topics. These include in particular the design of the study and examination regulations, workload, room facilities and working conditions. The results are discussed both in the subject commission and in an institute meeting and are also included in the institute's teaching report. A summary of the results will again be published via WueCampus.
- The Institute participates in all university-wide evaluations. These include surveys of new students and graduates as well as surveys of lecturers. The most important results are included in the teaching report and, if necessary, are also discussed in institute meetings and the study subject commission.
- In the winter semester 2016/17, a survey was conducted for the first time to determine the students' aptitude for the program. The main aim is to check the effectiveness of the advertising for the study programs, the information materials at the beginning of the study program and the introductory events and to improve them if necessary. The survey was designed and conducted together with the Institute of Computer Science and the Faculty of Physics and Astronomy. In the future, the survey will be carried out throughout the university. Until then, it will take place at the beginning of each winter semester together with the Department of Computer Science and the Faculty of Physics and Astronomy.
- Since summer semester 2017, the student council, with the support of the Dean of Studies, has been conducting a short evaluation of the larger lectures in the third or fourth week of lectures in addition to the course evaluation. The results are sent to the lecturers promptly so that any problems can be solved as quickly as possible.