If you are a math student in a higher semester of undergraduate studies or in a teacher training program or in a master's degree program, you could be interested in a job as academic assistant at the institute. As assisten you should
- correct exercise sheets
- holding tutorials
- working in the JIM program
and have successfully completed the appropriate modules themselves. This task requires to
- not only understand the math but also explain it well,
- not only perform mathematical arguments, but also comment on their correctness or gaps and challanges.
The Institute of Mathematics is looking for student assistants to supervise the lectures and exercises in the winter term 2021/2022.
- Tasks: Usually correction of exercise sheets, in some cases holding exercise groups or tutorials.
- Prerequisite: You have passed the exam for the module for which you want to work as an assistant.
- Application: Until September 15, 2021 using the online application form.
- Selection by the Mathematics teaching coordinator Dr. Jens Jordan or the Mathematics Didactics teaching coordinator Dr. Wolfgang Weigel.
- Scope of employment: usually 40 h/month with a contract duration of 3.5 months.
For all assistants correcting for the first time in mathematics, a corrector training is compulsory. For all assistants, who hold a tutorial for the first time in mathematics, a tutor training is obligatory.
- Application via the online application form.
- next corrector training: Tue 12-Oct-2021, 9-11, place and type (digital or not) will be announced later.
- next tutors training: Wed 13-Oct-2021 and Thu 14-Oct-2021, 9-14, place and type (digital or not) will be announced later.
The tutors training is a multidisciplinary education and training. The quality and sustainability of the program and the efficient supervision of the tutors and mentors are ensured by high school didactic program coordinators.
The corrector training is mathematical specific. Here the basic principles of a correction of mathematical texts are discussed and practiced.
- Please fill in the application form accordingly to register to the training.
- Students of the Bachelor's degree programs and students of the teaching progam for Gymnasium can apply for this activity at the end of the semester as a key qualification module or in the outdoor area as a tutor or corrector in mathematics (10-M-TuKo, ungraded, 5 ECTS).
What should I do?
- You must have completed a corrective training in advance.
- They must have registered with the teaching co-ordinators by the beginning of the semester at the latest. These point out the appropriate assistants and lecturers that you want to attend this module.
- At the end of the semester, the lecturers and assistants are interviewed by the teaching coordinator about their work. If these agree, the module is passed.
- You are not entitled to the "Corrector activity" module.
- Students who wish to attend this module must have been recruited by the teaching co-ordinator (on the basis of their preliminary work or on suggestion or with the agreement of the respective lecturer / assistant).
- Students of the Master Degree Program in Mathematics or Mathematical Physics, who are employed as tutors or tutors for lectures and exercises in mathematics, can do this activity at most twice as a module Learning by Teaching Mathematics 1 or 2 (Module 10-M = ELT1 resp. M = ELT2, graded, 5 ECTS points).
- Students of the Computational Mathematics Master's degree program, who are assigned as tutors or tutors for lectures and mathematical exercises, can be credited as a module Learning by Teaching Computational Mathematics (module 10-M = ELTcm1, graded, 5 ECTS-points) ,
What should I do?
- Notify the course co-ordinator by the beginning of the semester at the latest that you intend to have your activity credited as a tutor. The teaching coordinator reminds the lecturers that you want to take this module and that you have to grade it at the end of the semester. At the end of the semester, the lecturers or assistants are asked by the teaching coordinator to grade their activity.
- You are not entitled to the module Learning by Teaching.
- Students wishing to have this module credited must have been recruited by the teaching co-ordinator (on the basis of their preliminary work or on suggestion or with the agreement of the respective lecturer / assistant or assistant / assistant) to such a tutor activity.